Respect the road safety rules(18/07/2012)
Sharing the roads and pathways is everyone’s responsibility. These safety tips help keep everyone safe when using CityCycle.
- Check that all the safety features (lights, brakes, tyres) on your CityCycle bike are working before you set off.
- Always wear an Australian standards approved bike helmet.
- Use a bike lane where provided.
- Give way to pedestrians and other users at all times.
- On a footpath or shared path, slow down and sound your bell as you approach pedestrians and pass them on the right.
- On the road, keep left where practical.
- Look out for and follow road signs and signals.
- Always keep at least one hand on the handle bars at all times and sit astride on the seat.
- Never ride across a pedestrian crossing. Dismount and walk your bike across the road.
- Don’t carry passengers on your bike.
- Wear light coloured clothing and reflective clothing at night.
- Ride no more than two abreast and be prepared to ride in single file on narrow roads.
- Signal a change of direction with clear hand signal.
- Watch out for vehicle doors opening.
- Never hold on to another moving vehicle while riding.
- Do not overtake vehicles if they are turning left.
- Be predictable – travel in a straight line – do not weave.
- Use of devices with earphones is not recommended as it may cause a distraction.
- If you stop for a short time, use the anti-theft chain and lock provided with each bike.
- Always consider your own safety and that of others at all times.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads has detailed information on the cycling rules in Queensland.